A career in graphic designing is something that a lot of talented people throughout the world increasingly seek. With the scope of the field growing day by day, the number of jobs is increasing too. Jobs in the sector range from freelance assignments of a few dollars to contracts worth thousands of dollars. If you are considering a feasible career in the field, it is important to know what comprises the graphic designer job description.
What does a graphic designer do?
In simple and plain words, a graphic designer works with images and typographies to create designs to suit the requirements of the client. A graphic designer should primarily focus on creating designs that maximize the visual impact of the message that the client is trying to convey.
Where are the skills of a graphic designer?
Graphic designers work in many diverse fields across different fields. Some of the most common ones include website designs, packaging, books, magazines, advertisements, computer games and exhibitions. Many niche fields these days also avail the services of a graphic designer including interior designing, architecture, product designing, etc. Hence, graphic designers are in demand across a large variety of industries.
What are the qualifications of a graphic designer?
The popular myth is that graphic designing is a freelance skill that is often taught as informal courses. However, it’s a statement that is far from the truth. Although there are some hobbyists who learn this skill by themselves, formal education to work with professional organizations has now become a prerequisite. Several universities offer several certificates ranging from 1-year basic diploma to even PhDs. Hence if you desire to be a professional graphic designer, you have to take education seriously. Experiences in the field are also considered to be valuable. So it wouldn’t be a bad idea to work as an amateur for a while.
Graphic Designer Job Description
The job description of graphic designer involves the following:
- Gathering necessary information, either from the web or the market
- Planning the concept of the work to be done
- Presenting the concept to the client by making a sample or a rough outline of the work
- Correcting or modifying the work done, as per the client’s suggestion
- Preparing the final layout based on the clear concepts.
- Ensuring the operation of all necessary office equipments by completing preventive maintenance requirements.
- Completing projects through all necessary coordination with outside agencies, art services, printers, etc. keeping in mind the deadlines involved.
- Ensuring that one’s skill set is up-to-date and competitive by keeping up with the trends of the market, and even taking part in workshops when necessary.
- Working with other members of the team in a coordinated manner that ensures the smooth functioning of the organization.
Note however, that some of the above points may not apply to a freelance graphic designer. Again, some descriptions may also increase depending upon the nature of the client.
Qualities of a graphic designer
All graphic designers need to own certain qualities to make them successful in their jobs which include
- Strong visual sense
- Sense of originality
- Good computer skills
- Good communication skills
- Able to understand client needs and devise practical solutions
- Able to pay attention to detail
- Capacity to balance work on several projects at a time
- Effective team-working skills
- Able to analyze market trends and situations
- Able to handle situations when ideas or designs are rejected.
Career outlook of graphic designers
Judging the market trends of today and keeping in mind the possible future economy, we can consider that graphic designers will certainly get more opportunities in the future. But it would also be fair to say that the challenges of the graphic designers will also increase as the dynamics of the market changes. Compared to the past, formal education is now considered a necessity by employers who seek a professional graphic designer. The prospective designer needs to keep in mind that the more dynamic the skills, the better are the chances for better pay and employment opportunities.
With this graphic designer job description, you now have an idea whether or not you have what it takes to pursue this type of career or not.
Be the first to comment on "Graphic Designer Job Description And Career Outlook"