Are you looking for information about marriage and family therapist salary and job outlook? If you are, then you have come to the right place.
The marriage and family therapist job is one of the most highlighted careers in the United States. According to CNN Money, a marriage and family therapist job is ranked at number 42 in the list of the best jobs in the United States. This type of therapist earns an annual salary of $35,000 up to $50,000 based on the educational levels attained.
Here are important facts about family and marriage therapist:
What is a Family and Marriage Therapist?
The family and marriage therapists are professionals who specialize in evaluating, developing and managing couples’ relationships from marriage status up to building a family. The goals of family and marriage therapists are as follows:
- Practice productive marriage
- Manage social relationships of an individual or each member of the family
- Practice Interpersonal adjustment before and after the marriage
- Premarital and child counseling
- Psychological management for couples
- Family relationship counseling
- Life training and coaching
- Manage mental and emotional health disciplines (e.g. Depression)
- Treatment for physical, emotional, and psychological disorders
- Medical care for each Family member
Marriage and family therapists are also called mental health experts or professionals since part of their job description is help solve common family problems like psychological symptoms, schizophrenia, and more.
Importance of a family and marriage therapist
Yes, a family therapist plays an important role in the society. Just like a doctor who takes care of your physical health, these types of therapists are the ones who help heal problems within the family. Haven’t you noticed that there are million of broken families in the society? For this reason, a great number of immorality, child abuse or domestic violence, teenage pregnancy, alcoholism, mental and behavior disorder, and broken family cases are present in the society today.
Family and marriage therapists guide couples on how to deal with their problems within their marriage and their relationship with their children. Thus, they are also referred to as family psychologists whose job is to focus on family status and sensitivities. Each family or couple needs a personal family and marriage therapist that will continually guide them.
How does one pursue a family and marriage therapist career?
According to the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy (AAMFT), the following are the basic requirements for one to become a qualified family and marriage therapist:
- Two years of proven experience in marriage and family therapy (plus a Master’s degree in the same field)
- Passed the licensing exams to qualify in the field
- Proven collaboration with health care professionals
- Excellent communication skills
- Tech-experienced skills and services
Job Outlook for this Profession
Research within the United States found that the demand for family and marriage therapist is growing in numbers because of the increasing numbers of broken families and problematic children.
According to the US Labor Statistics of the Occupational Outlook Handbook, there is an estimated demand of 33,100 active family and marriage therapists in the United States (as of May 2011), and this number would continually increase until year 2020. The career outlook for this profession is indeed, promising.
Family and Marriage Therapist Salary
Based on the latest information from the US Occupational Outlook Handbook (2012-2013), the family and marriage therapist salary ranges from $49,270 up to $120,000 per year depending on the workplace and the geographical location. For more details about hourly and annual mean wages of the family and marriage therapist, please see the following links:
- http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes211013.htm – US Department of Labor – Bureau of Labor Statistics: Occupational Employment Statistics for Family and Marriage Therapist.
- http://www.aamft.org/imis15/content/consumer_updates/Marriage_and_Family_Therapists.aspx – American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy.
With this complete information about the family and marriage therapist salary and career outlook, are you ready to become one? Don’t miss this opportunity and start working now!